Top 50 Science Fiction Books

https://www.abebooks.com/books/features/50-essential-science-fiction-books.shtml

Usually Top 50 lists are hard to swallow. This time, I think this person did a good job of it. The criteria more or less:

• one book per author (that also implies one book per series)
  • many sub-genres
  • hard sci-fi (like Ring World)
  • soft sci-fi (like Starship Troopers)
  • space opera
  • and so on…

I enjoyed a number of the selected books in my time reading this genre. I have not yet read everything on this list. Maybe that’s why the list caught my eye.

From a philosophy of programming perspective, I think one book for sure covers some of this space:

• Foundation - Deals with the idea of scientific determinism on a massive scale

Since I haven’t read them all, I can’t recommend any others. How about you?

I have read some other books by some of these authors. A few that stand out in my mind:

• The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson - deals with the problems with Turing machines. Contends with the idea that a machine based on rules, even extremely elaborate rules, cannot sufficiently replicate a parent.
  • Vernor Vinge – An author. Coined the term "Technological Singularity – Penned many works that deal with philosophy in some form or fashion. A good place to start is his book of short stories.

I am considering adding a “Literature” section to the reading list. Suggestions are welcome. Re-Read the manifesto for a refresher on the selection criteria. One major challenge is that many of these literature books are not youth-friendly as they contain topics meant for a mature audience.